- Talk of a cabinet position for Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., after he retires from the Senate made me curious. What positions are out there? There’s this list of some of the bigger ones. There’s this list of cabinet-level positions and who’s in them. Wonder which ones will step down by next year when Dorgan’s available? (Hey, check out the proposed Department of Peace on that page. What a gas!)
- I was in Seattle when the giant Christmas blizzard hit so I missed all the news action. I did see this story in the Seattle Times about how the city screwed up its disaster response the last time it got hit with a lot of snow — and then lied about it. The transportation department chief stepped down shortly afterwards.
- Here’s an interesting link on how Chicago’s improving its snow removal.
- You all remember Josh Brorby, the Dakota Student columnist with the rape column? I’ve had this link sitting in my file for a while, but, if you haven’t read it, he got some love in Salon last month.
TÂ o wit: “So if you ever need some guidance on how to take constructive criticism and own your mistakes, you might just be better off writing to a North Dakota college student than a professional advice columnist.”Â
- The city of Grand Forks is officially looking for state funding to quiet down those railroad crossings. If you’re curious what kinds of safety devices are out there, check this out.
- Interesting link about how some states in financial trouble are turning paved roads back to gravel. Minnesota is mentioned as having studied the high cost of paved roads.